michael2l
May 30th, 2008, 14:29
Has anybody played around with FreeBSD 7 performance tuning with the new ULE scheduler?

I'm swapping some proxy servers that previously were running linux kernel 2.6 with boxes on the same hardware running FreeBSD 7 and the ULE enabled version of the kernel . These boxes act as a reverse http proxy for our application servers.

If anybody has some hints or tips for maximizing my performance on these boxes I would much appreciate it. I'm really hoping to milk as much improvement as possible over the Linux boxes to impress some of the BSD naysayers here in the office. :D

Strog
May 30th, 2008, 17:42
I have ULE on a tinker 7.0 box at work but haven't tweaked it much yet. It's mostly my scanning, monitoring, etc. box so nothing too intensive yet.

I'd love to hear what kind of performance you get out of those boxes. ;)

Kernel_Killer
May 31st, 2008, 02:50
Yeah, check out my PostGreSQL how-to. I use ULE to it's full extent over the base and 5 jails.

Really, talk about a huge performance hit for things like PostGreSQL.

michael2l
June 2nd, 2008, 11:16
Thanks dudes. I'll post back here with some of my results. Should be able to start some baseline tests on Wed this week.

michael2l
June 23rd, 2008, 12:11
Sorry didn't post back right away. On my initial test I had to stop because apache was seg faulting after reaching a certain user load. It was only on one of the systems though. I couldn't do any more work on it at the time though because my tests were run against our production environment, and I only had a small downtime window to work with.

We are putting together a performance environment right now, and once that is in place, I'll be able to debug it there.

Kernel_Killer
June 24th, 2008, 20:20
Can't wait to see the results. Please post as you progress if you would please.

On an off note, have you heard from Elmore?