socomm
September 7th, 2008, 19:10
Hey guys, been awhile. I've a couple machines, that I've been playing arond with and I'd like for a way to create users that can login to either machine without having to manually add/maintain them on each machine.

I think LDAP may work but I don't have the vaguest ideas on where to start. Since you guys got lots experience thought maybe I'd ask you. All thoughts, ideas, links are greatly appreciated.

bmw
September 8th, 2008, 09:27
LDAP is, I think, the best modern solution to user management, but the learning curve and setup is steep and complex. Worth it in a multi-server or service environment with a dozen or more users.

You might consider the old-school Yellow Pages aka NIS for your small setup. There's still a bit of learning req'd but you don't need to run a separate server, there's built-in redundancy, and the amount of admin'ing is real close to zero once you get it setup.

Kernel_Killer
September 8th, 2008, 14:10
NIS for sure. It does have a bit of a curve, but not too bad. Setup a central server, have each system set to login to it, and admin your users from the central server (in a nutshell).