elmore
March 1st, 2003, 17:56
Anyone here configured samba 2.2.7a and FreeBSD 5.0 and successfully gotten printing to work via lpd?

I've set this up a thousand times and never had a problem for the life of me I cannot get printing to work with 2.2.7a and FBSD 5.

I am going crazy!!!

here's the relevant config files.

/etc/printcap
[code:1:e12d17c28a]

printer: \
:_nxfinalform:sh:sf:mx#0:lo=lock:lp=:rm=printer:rp =lp: \
:note=Printer:sd=/var/spool/lpd/printer: \
:ty=HP LaserJet 4000 Series PS:
[/code:1:e12d17c28a]

Here's /usr/local/etc/smb.conf

[code:1:e12d17c28a]

Global Definitions
load printers = yes
printcap name = /etc/printcap
printing = bsd

Share Definitions
[printers]
comment = All Printers
security = user
path = /var/spool/samba
browseable = no
printable = yes
public = yes
writable = yes
[/code:1:e12d17c28a]

Obviously I have /var/spool/samba created and /var/spool/lpd/printer made.
/etc/hosts.lpd has a + in it
I have tried various print command variables in the smb.conf

In addition, I have read the Samba FAQ and followed it to a t. And the FBSD Handbook. I think printing is just broken. Can anyone else confirm. Maybe cups is a viable alternative. Anyone have a config they'd be willing to share if that's the case?

elmore
March 1st, 2003, 18:35
ok nevermind, I spoke with Krusty he said look at cups, I looked at cups 5 minutes later I am printing. Wow, super kewl. Cups is way easy to use.

Still I'd like to know what the problem was with lpr. If anyone else know tell me.

Kernel_Killer
March 1st, 2003, 19:20
One problem I always found was that smbprint, and smbspool's permissions were not set correctly. Might check that out.

|MiNi0n|
March 1st, 2003, 20:48
One problem I always found was that smbprint, and smbspool's permissions were not set correctly. Might check that out.

Bingo. I always see the above as well and scratch my head for hours 'til I finally rummage through smbd logs. Ugh!

cups is definately the way to go. See you later lpd!!!

Zoniguana
October 10th, 2004, 11:14
yarg...

:2gunsfiri 'Bout ready for this part, so,please pardon any invective...

That outta the way, I have (presumably) my HP LJ 1100 installed on FreeBSD 5.2.1. Have printed test pages from within Webmin, as well as lpr. Can see the printer from both Win2K and Mandrake 9.2 workstations, and can see shared file folder from both. Can read and write to files in shared file folder, but, for the life of me cannot print to shared printer. Will be happy to offer any config info I have that will be useful in helping to diagnose; just let me know!

Thanks!!