Kernel_Killer
July 25th, 2011, 17:00
In the past year, without much announcing; Debian has been going full force with their distributions. The one that sticks out the most, is their resurrection of KFreeBSD.

If you don't remember this distribution, don't fret. Before, it was mainly in testing, and hardly working at all. GING was a group at the time, trying to do the same thing, but froze their distribution as well. Now Debian has thawed out the code, and polished it like the diamond it is.

So, you might be asking yourself, "What is it? Why do I care what Debian does when I'm visiting a BSD forum?". Well, first off, this is no ordinary Linux... er BSD... er.... hmmm.... Well, I guess you could say it's a hybrid distribution, offering a Linux backend, on top of a FreeBSD kernel.

Many might not find this to be too great, but myself um on others have dreamed of this day. Many like the Linux set up, with it's plethora of packages, but really don't find the kernel to be, well.... satisfactory. Even with the new Dynamic firewalls in Linux, and POSIX added to every distribution; nothing, and I repeat nothing will stack up to the TrustedBSD kernel mods for MAC security, and OpenBSD's PF for a firewall.

So, if you're looking for the best of both worlds, here you go! As much as I would love to say it's perfect, there is still much to be done for package stability, but considering what it was before it was frozen, it has come a long way!

bmw
July 25th, 2011, 20:48
That's pretty cool, KK; I'm glad to hear it. Anything that expands our options is fine by me.

By the way, good to see that you're still alive out there. :-)

Kernel_Killer
July 27th, 2011, 15:11
Glad to see you around as well BMW! It's been rough, but won't ever stop doing what I do. ;)