GhostDawg
March 6th, 2003, 15:55
I'm trying to setup my ports but seem to be missing something on doing this.

I was reading info on freebsd.org site on setting it up but I don't see a /usr/ports directory in my /usr area.

I'm on a dialup connection so will it be okay to setup ports or will it be too slow?

This is the steps I followed:

1.As root, run /stand/sysinstall as shown below:

# /stand/sysinstall

2.Scroll down and select Configure, press Enter.
3.Scroll down and select Distributions, press Enter.
4.Scroll down to ports, press Space.
5.Scroll up to Exit, press Enter.
6.Select your desired installation media, such as CDROM, FTP, and so on.
7.Scroll up to Exit and press Enter.
8.Press X to exit sysinstall.

For #6, I chose FTP only. And then I was presented with configuring my net connection, am I suppose to fill my net connection info in there?

Thnx.

bsdjunkie
March 6th, 2003, 16:03
http://www.freebsd.org/ports/index.html

You can download the entire ports collection from there, The ports collection currently runs at about 15meg. Then, whenever you install one from the ports tree, you still have to go out and download the programs and libraries needed to install it. You may want to consider prebuilt packages instead while on a dialup line. those can be grabbed at any fbsd mirror

ftp://ftp6.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/5.0-RELEASE/packages

soup4you2
March 6th, 2003, 16:22
if you want to give it a whirl i wrote a simple script that helps w/ ports, updates, backups, logging and monitoring..

http://bsdhound.com/~soup4you2/menu.sh

just remember to edit the file in the top part and set your variables.. if you try it out let me know if there is something i can do to improve it or things it needs... the goal in this is to help people new to BSD out.. plus i'm a geek like that... also it's a good project to start learning bash scripting..

the only requirements really is having bash installed and cvsup

elmore
March 6th, 2003, 16:54
Hey soup any chance I can get your to post that script in the scripts section here on SE?

soup4you2
March 6th, 2003, 17:40
i did post an earlier version but not since it's over 1000 lines it's too long to post the code in the forums.. but have at it if you want.. it's a great script for lazyness... and the monitoring specific ports i kinda ripped off from your script...hehe

GhostDawg
March 9th, 2003, 02:01
If I start to download the ports and cancel it, will it start where it left off at or will it start from the beginning?

I guess it would be better to download the individual packages whenever I need them.

Thnx.

GhostDawg
August 6th, 2003, 18:01
Ok, I'm go admit it, I'm an idiot when it come's to this port stuff...I'm just not grasping how to do it! And I've read the manual on doing it but still lost.

Could someone please explain to me how to set it up? I would like to do it using the internet.

I read on how to do it using CVSup but it's not installed, why is it not installed by default?

Thnx.

KrUsTy!
August 6th, 2003, 18:11
This should get you going....

http://screamingelectron.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=221

{K}

GhostDawg
August 6th, 2003, 19:14
Thnx for the link. Now when I followed it, and got to the part on Make clean install in the cvs directory, I received this error message:

cvsupit-3.1 is marked as broken: Does not build.

So I guess it didn't work. Any ideas on why it's not working?

I'm using Freebsd 4.7.1

Frustration is building up!

v902
August 6th, 2003, 19:17
It's currently broken, either download the package using pkg_add or just wait 'till it's fixed probably in a day or so...

elmore
August 6th, 2003, 19:22
don't let the frustration get to you, that port has been broken for a couple of weeks now. You can install the cvsup-without-gui port and then make a /etc/cvsupfile

Here's a sample cvsupfile I use on one of my workstations.

[code:1:a7e1b22f99]

*default host=cvsup2.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs
*default tag=none
*default delete use-rel-suffix

*default tag=.
ports-all

[/code:1:a7e1b22f99]

This file just updates the ports, so they stay updated. Then you can add a cronjob in /etc/crontab to update everynight.

Make sure you install the portupgrade port as well.

Hope that helps! :)

GhostDawg
August 6th, 2003, 19:22
Well I tried installing Gaim from the Gaim directory and received this error message:

configure: error: *** pkg-config too old; version 0.14 or better required.
===> Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.
Please report the problem to gnome@FreeBSD.org [maintainer] and attach
the "/usr/ports/devel/glib20/work/glib-2.2.2/config.log" including the
output of the failure of your make command. Also, it might be a good
idea to provide an overview of all packages installed on your system
(e.g. an `ls /var/db/pkg`).
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/devel/glib20.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/textproc/gtkspell2.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/net/gaim.

What does this mean? I guess I need to get my system updated?

Thnx.

soup4you2
August 6th, 2003, 19:40
i've written a little script a bit ago that might help you out until you get a grasp on things...

http://bsdhound.com/~soup4you2/menu.sh

Give it a try

GhostDawg
August 6th, 2003, 20:06
Wouldn't I need CVS to use the script? I'm having problems getting the cvs installed. I don't understand why it's not already part of the installation routine!

Unless I overlooked something during installation, maybe I did cause I had dialup at the time.

soup4you2
August 6th, 2003, 20:43
Wouldn't I need CVS to use the script? I'm having problems getting the cvs installed. I don't understand why it's not already part of the installation routine!

Unless I overlooked something during installation, maybe I did cause I had dialup at the time.

try running :

pkg_db -F

fix your database

and run portupgrade pkgtools

plus you dont need cvs to use the script

just run

fetch http://bsdhound.com/~soup4you2/menu.sh

chmod 750 menu.sh

./menu.sh

GhostDawg
August 6th, 2003, 21:46
mepis1# pkg_db -F
pkg_db: Command not found.

mepis1# portupgrade pkgtools
portupgrade: Command not found.

./menu.sh
DATESTAMP=2003-08-06: Command not found.
BACKUP=/mnt/backup: Command not found.
SNORTRULES=/usr/local/etc/snort/rules: Command not found.
VERSION=3.0.6: Command not found.
LOCKFILE=/tmp/lazy.lock: Command not found.
LAZYLOG=/tmp/lazy.log: Command not found.
set: Variable name must begin with a letter.
mepis1#

I don't know why some of this not working...I think I'm getting more confused then anything.

But I do appreciate the help.

soup4you2
August 6th, 2003, 21:53
oops...

it's pkgdb -F

there's no underscore in it..

also you need to be in a bash shell to run that script.

KrUsTy!
August 6th, 2003, 23:48
Thnx for the link. Now when I followed it, and got to the part on Make clean install in the cvs directory, I received this error message:

cvsupit-3.1 is marked as broken: Does not build.

So I guess it didn't work. Any ideas on why it's not working?

For some reason the port is marked as broken in the makefile. The port builds just fine for me when I comment out the Broken line in the make file in the port. Don't know why its marked broken, but I've built it some 5-7 times since the broken was added and it builds every time!

So you could just unmark it as broken, and then build it.

cvsupit is not cvsup. cvsupit is just a port that will install all the things you need to use cvsup and gives you a nice configuration menu to help you get setup. It's a nice easy way to get going with cvsup. That would be if the port was not marked as broken....

CVS is not a part of FreeBSD OS. It is a program that must be added. Yes, the FreeBSD project uses cvs trees for their code, but you must install cvsup tto be able to use that program to update a cvs tree of code. It would not be part of any "Default" install of the OS.

To install cvsup direct go to this port;

/usr/ports/net/cvsup and type make install clean.

That is cvsup without the nice menu that sets it all up for you. You will then need to setup the config file to use cvs.

Remember that after you install a package or port, if you want to use that program right away in your current shell you need to issue the command "rehash" that will re-read your paths.

You only need cvs if you want to keep up to date with the latest code being added to the ports tree. You don't need to do that in order to use the ports tree to install programs. Using cvsup to keep it update is nice, but not required. Once you have a ports tree you can just go into any port and use make install to have that port build. The nice thing about ports is that if you use it to install a program it will automagically install other required programs that maybe needed to make the one program you are installing work.

Hope this helps.

{K}

GhostDawg
August 8th, 2003, 19:33
Thnx for the info, I'll be giving it another shot to see what happens.

Taking a break for now! :lol: