Kernel_Killer
April 7th, 2003, 03:44
I'm trying to play DVDs w/o this lag I'm having. I installed the enhanced ATI drivers, but nothing changed. No XVimage is shown in any log. What should I do?

soup4you2
April 7th, 2003, 09:47
i've experienced lag in some of the dvd player applications.. the best one i've ran into is mplayer..

just compile it w/

WITH_DVD=yes
WITH_LIBDVDREAD=yes
WITHOUT_RUNTIME_CPUDETECTION=yes

and create a symlink from your dvd player device to /dev/dvd

then run

mplayer -dvd 1

you can also build mplayer w/ the gui by adding in

WITH_GUI=yes
and run gmplayer

hope this helps

Strog
April 7th, 2003, 10:13
There's an article about tweaking your FreeBSD system for performance over at ONLamp.
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2002/09/19/FreeBSD_Basics.html

Make sure you have added the options to your kernel to get the most out of your system and that dma is enabled on your drives.

I'd have to agree with soup, try a different app or two to see if that improves things.

KrUsTy!
April 7th, 2003, 13:24
I have found that different apps have much different performaces. I have also found that after switching to 5.0 I have yet to get as good performance on DVDs then I did with my old 4.7... I think its because I have yet to performace tweak my 5.0 laptop...

The 2 apps that I consider the best are ogle and mplayer. I used to use only ogle on my 4.7 laptop because of the great nav support, and its performance was flawless too. Install a gui frontend for ogle like ogle-gui or okle and it really is a great dvd app. Unfortunately ogle is not performing as well as mplayer on my 5.0. Must get to that tweaking to see if that makes a difference. I would really like to go back to ogle.

I used xine for a while, but I found that it never performed even close to ogle or mplayer, even on my tweaked 4.7.

My Laptop has a Trident Cyberbalde on it, a very sucky video card, but I have been able to get excellent dvd performace in the past, and I use the VESA driver for X. So your ATI should be more then enough to get decent playback. Probably some tweaking is the only thing holding you back from good playback. I'd go with either ogle or mplayer as the app, but use what works the best for you.

ogle, ogle-gui (gnome frontend), okle (kde frontend) and mplayer are in the ports.

/usr/ports/multimedia

{K}

Kernel_Killer
April 7th, 2003, 18:47
Yeah, I'm using gmplayer right now, and instead of doing the symlink, I just added 'dvd-device=/dev/cdrom' to my ~/.mplayer/config file. On compiling with options, I'm at a loss. I take it it's the Makefile I need to add these to? I also just recompiled the kernel to fit my system.

I will also try those kernel options. I know that USER_LDT won't work for some odd reason. Or maybe it will in this system. Guess I'll find out. Thanx all!

soup4you2
April 8th, 2003, 09:58
cd /usr/ports/multimedia/mplayer ; make WITH_DVD=yes WITH_LIBDVDREAD=yes WITHOUT_RUNTIME_CPUDETECTION=yes WITH_GUI=yes install clean

sometimes i get bored and read through the Makefiles to see what kinda funky options i can give it

socomm
April 8th, 2003, 13:41
sometimes i get bored and read through the Makefiles to see what kinda funky options i can give it
:lol: you're not the only one.

Kernel_Killer
April 20th, 2003, 03:05
Here's what I ended up doing that worked just fine. No GUI, but who cares.

mplayer -dvd 1 -alang eng -dvd-device /dev/acd0 -v dga

Also got it to work without DGA, but that was the first time it worked.