elmore
June 1st, 2003, 23:56
Well we've started up a new forum, a pf forum for all things pf. This forum has been started in conjunction with SolarfluX and his most excellent pf-r. Shortly we'll be merging all existing pf posts into the pf category. If you are looking to start a new pf thread please start it in the pf forum.

The security forums will be revamped and will cover all things security minus pf.

Thanks for pardoning our progress.

elmore
September 14th, 2003, 16:50
well we've consolidated the forums even more and the pf forum is now a general firewall forum.

Thanks

SolarfluX
October 22nd, 2003, 21:16
BOOOOOOOOOOO...

I have to say that I'm disappointed with this move. Also kinda disappointed that several SE members said they were going to submit pf examples and still have not...

I realize that the forums needed consolidating, but PF deserves its own forum, especially since it was initially started specifically for the pf-r. I'll give you guys some time to make a decision on this, but having a 'catch-all' forum for the pf-r is not acceptable to me. I've had a forum solution ready to go for a few months (as a side project), but now it looks like I'll have to actually use it.

Comments requested.

elmore
October 22nd, 2003, 23:02
SolarfluX -

This is all I will say on this subject. I highly respect you and the work that you have done for both pf and the general BSD community with bsdvault.net, I will be quite disappointed if you choose to take the link from the pf-r to us away though I will understand as we no longer have a dedicated forum for pf. I will also be quite upset if this were to impact the friendship that we have, though I'm confident that we are both above that.

In the end it is the member base that drives this community. It is the member base that decides what forums this site should have and what forums this site should not. To be quite honest I would not have it any other way. The member base spoke the adminstrative staff at S.E. listened and acted appropriately, we held a vote, I personally asked for comments several times and in the end we came up with the best fit for S.E. given the input we received.

http://screamingelectron.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=884
http://screamingelectron.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=890

There's plenty of room for pf. The majority of the members here use it and promote it whenever they can. While the forum might not be dedicated to pf anymore, the vast majority of existing posts are about pf and the vast majority of new posts also regard pf. The forum name may have changed the content remains the same.

I think it is unfair for you to criticize members of this community for not getting rulesets to the pf-r. Many here including myself have promoted the pf-r whenever and wherever possible. Many of us have a lot of things going on that have prevented ruleset creation for the pf-r. I'm one of the people included in that. I'm not asking for sympathy here just merely trying to explain my position, I'm currently in the process of getting laid off, starting up my own company, getting my personal finances in order, trying to keep my house, trying to keep my wife, etc. etc. the pf-r is just not my priority at this point. I'm doing good just to be replying to this post. Again I'm not asking for sympathy just explaining my position. The fact is no one knows what other members here are going through in their personal lives and it is just wrong to criticize anyone in a public forum for not getting volunteer work done without knowing the facts behind the circumstances.

SolarfluX
October 24th, 2003, 01:33
I think it is unfair for you to criticize members of this community for not getting rulesets to the pf-r. Many here including myself have promoted the pf-r whenever and wherever possible. Many of us have a lot of things going on that have prevented ruleset creation for the pf-r. I'm one of the people included in that.

Elmore,

I never said I was pissed off or anything about lack of submissions, just disappointed that certain people kept telling me they would submit examples and never did. I just stopped asking. You have contributed much yourself to the pf-r and I thank you greatly for that, and even though you didn't follow through on the cbq stuff, I'm not hung up on that either. I'm guilty of not following through on ALTQ myself, but I will be revisiting it hopefully in a few weeks.

It's just that when someone posts about ZoneAlarm for Win2K on a forum that was created for the pf-r, that does irk me just a bit. I have no problem with anyone running ZA per se; I've used it, it's good enough for the doze folk who don't want to spend anything.

I think what I'll do is just remove the references to 'pf-forum' here and it will become a partner forum for the pf-r. Later on, I'll activate the 'official pf-r forum' and will simply change the URL on the pf-r to point to it. I'll add a link to the 'se forums' as a courtesy to you for all your assistance. I'm not going to make any announcements or anything, they will just change suddenly. I will say that it will probably be on the six-month anniversary of the pf-r, kind of a milestone of sorts.

I totally understand about 'real life' keeping you from doing the things you want to do. I've been out of the loop for just about two months, doing the cert thing, and then basically taking some time off from BSD in general to do other things. I still try to visit the IRC channel at least once a day... I still haven't had a chance to take the second solaris exam yet, and now I'm all stoked up about getting CCNA and CCSP certs as well.

Always something to do, eh?

I don't have any reason to harbor any ill will over this, it's just a difference of opinion...

Thanks,

S

elmore
October 25th, 2003, 01:57
I never said I was pissed off or anything about lack of submissions, just disappointed that certain people kept telling me they would submit examples and never did. I just stopped asking. You have contributed much yourself to the pf-r and I thank you greatly for that, and even though you didn't follow through on the cbq stuff, I'm not hung up on that either. I'm guilty of not following through on ALTQ myself, but I will be revisiting it hopefully in a few weeks.

It's funny how things that we'd like to do always get pushed off. I hate that, I wish all I had to do all day was work on S.E., develop pf rulesets and come up with other kick ass stuff. Maybe someday eh.

It's just that when someone posts about ZoneAlarm for Win2K on a forum that was created for the pf-r, that does irk me just a bit. I have no problem with anyone running ZA per se; I've used it, it's good enough for the doze folk who don't want to spend anything.

Don't get the idea of the firewall forum wrong, we ain't supporting ZA, we reffered him elsewhere. There's very little of that here and when it happens the mods are quick to respond. We will always remain a BSD specific site, as if you had any doubt. ;)

I think what I'll do is just remove the references to 'pf-forum' here and it will become a partner forum for the pf-r. Later on, I'll activate the 'official pf-r forum' and will simply change the URL on the pf-r to point to it. I'll add a link to the 'se forums' as a courtesy to you for all your assistance. I'm not going to make any announcements or anything, they will just change suddenly. I will say that it will probably be on the six-month anniversary of the pf-r, kind of a milestone of sorts.

I'll be sorry to see the support link to us go from the pf-r but am happy to see that you'll put a general support link back to us. Thanks for being so understanding with this SolarfluX, it truly reflects upon the class act we all know you to be.

Always something to do, eh?

Man no kidding. the good thing is we're all on our way up and the skies the limit. Don't slow down, we all have room to catch up to that proverbial "next guy ahead of us!"

Thanks again S!