dsantamassino
June 17th, 2003, 19:35
Hi guys. If you notice that i'm new to this forum. I need help with FreeBSD 4.8 Release. I never ever used any type of Unix before. I want to start using Unix and it's FreeBSD i want to use. I installed FreeBSD. I need help setting it up as a gui. Can someone help me?? I don't think my mouse is going to recognize. I tryed to configure it when the installation was finish. I test my mouse and my mouse did not move. I am not very good with commands. Can someone take me through this process step by step if someone has time?? Please reply back and i would like FreeBSD set up. Thank You guys.

bsdjunkie
June 17th, 2003, 20:08
What type of mouse and video card do you have?

soup4you2
June 17th, 2003, 20:29
also did you install the xfree86 stuff from the installer?

we'll make this easy on you since this is your first post and all.. btw welcome to SE

dsantamassino
June 17th, 2003, 20:41
I will give you a list of my hardware. PCTEL V. 90 Platinum modem. That is a internal winmodem and i know it work unless i try to configure it but i don't know how. PS/2 wheel mouse. Cirrus video card that is a PCI. Compaq MV540 color monitor. Intel(r)Intergrated Audio. That is build in my motherboard. That's basically it unless you could think of something else. Please reply back. Thanks for your help.

dsantamassino
June 17th, 2003, 20:46
I think i install it.

dsantamassino
June 18th, 2003, 17:28
bsdjunkie or someone else. Can someone help me configure and set up a gui in FreeBSD?? Please reply back. Thanks.

tarballed
June 18th, 2003, 18:44
I highly recommend the FreeBSD Handbook.

here is a link that will help you with getting your GUI up:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11.html

Read that and it should get your going.

Tarballed

Kernel_Killer
June 18th, 2003, 21:47
'sysinstall' is your friend. If that command doesn't work for you in the 'root' account, type:

/stand/./sysinstall

For your mouse, go the 'Configure' > 'Mouse'. Set the Type to 'auto', your Port to 'PS/2', and then 'enable'. If that doesn't work, don't worry. There is more that can help.

Next go to 'Configure' > 'XFree86' > 'xf86cfg -textmode'. Set your mouse protocol to MouseSystems, and then the device to '/dev/sysmouse'.

Go to 'configure', and then 'XFree86', then 'XDesktop'. Choose the Desktop Environment you want to use, and it will install it for you. When it's done, you can siply type 'startx', and it should load. If it doesn't, post the errors here.

If the mouse doesn't work in the GUI, you can try one option that requires some editing in a file. You will need to edit the file 'XF86Config' in the '/etc/X11' directory. 'vi' is usually a good editor to use, but takes a bit of getting use to. Instead use 'ee'.

cd /etc/X11
ee XF86Config

Look for the section that looks like this:

[code:1:1c0b2f1ae1]Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "MouseSystems"
Option "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
Option "buttons" "5"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
[/code:1:1c0b2f1ae1]

In the "Protocol" area, change "MouseSystems" to "Auto". Hope that helps you out.

dsantamassino
June 18th, 2003, 22:36
I wnt to configure >XFree86>XF86cfg -textmode. This is the message i got.

The XFree86 setup utility you chose does not appear to be installed! Please install this before attempting to configure XFree86.

How do i install it?? Please reply back. Thanks.

dsantamassino
June 18th, 2003, 23:50
Does elmore know how to install XFree86?? It's up above what it says. elmore, Do you know FreeBSD?? I think your the only one online right now besides myself. Please reply back. Thanks.

psyche101
June 19th, 2003, 03:53
hiya dsantamassino

I am a total newbie, so take my word for being far from gospel but I ran into a very similar prob myself recently, frustrating isn't it

What happened to me was I found that when you install X during initial FreeBSD installation, it seems to go for version 4, however your ports collection will contain a version 3 as well. Why I hear you ask, I dunno. I had the same error up (Xfree86 not installed, but I knew that it was, just typed startx and there it be !!) so I installed from the ports collection, which went along on its merry way, installed another version of X, then all went bad, so bad infact that instead of cleaning the mess I just reinstalled FreeBSD, heaps quicker (even if I CVS to 4.8 and make/build world as well)
Not much help, but if you read this before you try to reinstall X, it could save you a complete reinstall, check the version that you have been trying to get up and running before you install from ports. If you find that you do not have X installed at all then just go
#cd /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4 (hit enter)
#make install clean (hit enter)
Then wait for quite a while, read up on guis and choose one for your needs
look at http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/x.html while you wait for the compile. Make sure you have that hardware documented for the list of questions when it comes to config.

Good Luck, remember I am a total newbie, but every bit counts I guess !
Don't be too disheartened, I have been trying to get X to work properly for 3 months now, bloody window managers are tricky, however, I am astounded at what I have learnt along the way. It has been annoying but a great learning expirience. Long live the daemon.

socomm
June 19th, 2003, 11:51
Make sure you have XFree86 installed. At the command line run the following, without the quotes 'XFree86 -version'. If XFree86 is installed you will get something like the following:

[code:1:e6769e6564]
XFree86 Version 4.3.0
Release Date: 27 February 2003
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.6
Build Operating System: FreeBSD 5.1 i386 [ELF]
Build Date: 24 May 2003
Before reporting problems, check http://www.XFree86.Org/
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Module Loader present
[/code:1:e6769e6564]

However if you receive an error message you will need to install XFree86, if your box is able to get to the net the easiest way of doing this is pkg_add -r XFree86. Other wise run '/stand/sysinstall'( again without the quotes), than Configure > Distributions, go down to XFree86 press [ Space ] than enter this will guide you through installing XFree86 from your installation disk.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-install.html

There are several ways to configure X you will be able to find most of them on '/stand/sysinstall' Configure > XFree86. I prefer the xf86cfg -texmode, but use which ever suits your needs best :).

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html

If you run into any problems make sure to post back here, or join the irc channel.

brin.freenode.net #screamingelectron

dsantamassino
June 19th, 2003, 18:21
This is what i typed in /stand/sysinstall. This is the message i got. This utility should only be run as root.

So i typed in root. This is the message i got. root: not found.

I also tryed su and su - for root. I know in Redhat it was su or su -. Either one will work for root. I'm not sure is that the same in FreeBSD with the commands. Please reply back. Thanks.

socomm
June 19th, 2003, 20:02
su - Change user ID or become super-user. This should not be a problem, however login as root anyways since you will be installing software and configuring system wide files.

dsantamassino
June 19th, 2003, 20:55
It won't let me log in as root. There is no way that's it's going to let me log in. I told you the message i got when i tryed root. I get a different error message when i try su. Please reply back if you want the error message for su.

socomm
June 19th, 2003, 21:31

[code:1:5ae8825d5e]
FreeBSD /i386 (Amnesiac) (ttvy0)
login:

[/code:1:5ae8825d5e]

type in root, than the password for root(Yyou do remember the password? If you did not set one it should be a simple [ Enter ] to let you in.). Good luck.

dsantamassino
June 19th, 2003, 22:01
I don't have any clue on how to log in as root with FreeBSD. I wish Linux and Unix could be the same but they can't. In Redhat i could log in as root with in 3 seconds with the command su. su won't work in FreeBSD. How do i log in as root?? You did not tell me how to log in. You only told me that i have to log in. I can't do nothing if i don't know how to get in root. Please reply back.

socomm
June 19th, 2003, 22:25
To log in as root you will need to boot your computer, next you will prompted by the following screen:

[code:1:a54a14dfe8]
login:
[/code:1:a54a14dfe8]

You will now be able to log in, enter 'root' so that it looks like the following:

login: root

now press the [ Enter ] key. You will be prompted for a password if you have not set one you will most likely get away with pressing [ Enter ] at this prompt, however if you have set one make sure that you enter it here. Passwords are case sensitive make sure that you do not make a spelling error otherwise you will recieve an error. Once you have enterered the pass word it should look like the following:

login: root
password:

press [ Enter ], cross your fingers. If all goes well you should not have a root prompt:

#

Best of luck.

dsantamassino
June 19th, 2003, 23:31
ok everythin went well. I configure my mouse and it worked and i configure the GNOME desktop. Then i typed in startx. It did not load my desktop. I think i got a fatal error and no screens were found. How do i get my desktop up and running?? Please reply back. Thanks.

psyche101
June 20th, 2003, 02:34
Heya

Sounds like your up to where I am, checkout newbie install problem, below yours in the froum, maybe we can solve both probs in one hit

Andy

soup4you2
June 20th, 2003, 09:40
you need to configure your XFree86 Server.. and the reason you cannot 'su' to root is most likely that your user account is not in the 'wheel' group. users need to be in wheel to be able to su

if you open /etc/group with your favorite text editor 'vi' add your name into the wheel group.

to configure X you can use the /stand/sysinstall and follow it to configuring Xfree86 or run xf86cfg from the cmd line..

the freebsd handbook has much information on getting X up and running

dsantamassino
June 20th, 2003, 23:19
You don't understand. I have everything configured. It won't allow me to go in the desktop. I have no access to the gui. startx does not work. I already have XFree86 configured. I told you that. What else do you want me to do?? Please reply back.

elmore
June 21st, 2003, 00:05
So then what happens when you type startx?

Do you have an .xinitrc file?

Perhaps you could post up the exact error message that you are getting. That way we'll be able to help you better.

We do need you to be fairly descriptive about the problem yo0u are having. I'm sure we can help if you'd provide some details. Oh and one more thing, there's no reason to ask us to reply back, we will.

dsantamassino
June 21st, 2003, 13:28
This is the exact message i got when i type startx.

xauth: creating new authority file /root/ .Xauthority
xauth: (argv):1: bad display name ":0" in "list" command
Using authority file /root/ .Xauthority
xauth: (stdin):1: bad display name ":0" in "add"command
xauth: (argv):1: bad display name ":0" in "list" command
Using authority file /root/ .Xauthority
xauth: (stdin):1: bad display name ":0" in "add" command

XFree86 Version 4.3.0
Release Date: 27 Feburary 2003
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.6
Build Operating System: FreeBSD 4.8 i386 [ELF]
Build date: 23 March 2003
Before reporting problems, check http://www.XFree86.Org/
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Module Loader Present
Markers: (--) probed, (**)
from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice,
(II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not inplemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log",
Time: Sat Jun 21 11:04:26 2003
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config"
(EE) Unable to find a core pointer device
(EE) Unable to determine the screen layout
(EE) Error from xf86HandleConfigFile()

Fatal server error:
no screens found
When reporting a problem to a server crash, please send the full server output, not just the last messages.
This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
Please report problems to xfree86@xfree86.org.

X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
xauth: (argv):1: bad display name ":0" in "remove" command
xauth: (argv):1: bad display name ":0" in "remove" command

What does that mean?? Thanks.

socomm
June 21st, 2003, 13:32
(EE) Unable to find a core pointer device

Go back and reconfigure your mouse, we can help you if you post the more info on your mouse( IE: model, usb, ps2 ).

dsantamassino
June 21st, 2003, 13:37
My mouse works fine. Why do i have to reconfigure it again when it works?? Thanks.

frisco
June 21st, 2003, 14:15
My mouse works fine. Why do i have to reconfigure it again when it works?? Thanks.

Mouse can work fine in console mode but still be broke in X. Since you say you can't get X working, i'm assuming your phrase "My mouse works fine" means that it works fine in console mode.

Console mode is not X. Trust socomm, he interpreted your error message correctly. And though you think you have X configured, it is obviously not configured correctly as it does not work.

As you previously mentioned you have a ps/2 wheel mouse, i believe the following will work for that InputDevice.
[code:1:4773d7910d]
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "Auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection
[/code:1:4773d7910d]

Without seeing your XF86Config, I'm not sure about the other two (EE) lines.

Fix the mouse, then run startx. If it errors out with the other two (EE) error lines, then report that back along with the contents of /etc/X11/XF86Config and the exact video card you have - Cirrus made more than one pci video card. If you're not sure exactly what video card you have, it should be listed in the output of the command `pciconf -lv`

Good luck

dsantamassino
June 21st, 2003, 15:08
I got X running. I had to go in xf86cfg -textmode and configure everything in there. How do i know will my internal winmodem will recognize?? If it does not recognize. Can someone help me configure my modem?? Thanks.

elmore
June 21st, 2003, 15:30
We can try to get your modem working, there is a port for the winmodem, so we can start there. Start a new thread though for your modem. Thanks.