tarballed
June 24th, 2003, 18:45
Hello everyone.

Well, at my current job, we are in the process of buying a multi-million $$ system that will pretty much make my life easier and streamline our business. Which is verycool and I really like. The cool part though is that we are currently debating between using 3 databases: SQL 2000, Oracle and IBM DB2.

I'm pretty excited about this because I have always wanted to learn more about database development. I am pretty sure that we are not going to go with Microsoft's SQL 2000 as my manager dislikes Windows. That pretty much leaves Oracle and IBM DB2.

I was curious as to what everyones opinion might be about these two particular database types? My direct manager will most likely have the final call in the decision. I should mention that he does have about 20+ years of database experience under his belt, which makes him pretty qualifed.

Anyways, i'd really like to develop my Database skills as I honestly believe that database development will always be a HUGE thing in the IT world and if I can learn a ton of stuff from either of these two types, I feel I could benefit from this greatly.

Lastly, I have a little bit of database experience, but not as much as i'd like. Anyone out there have any good links to getting started with database stuff so I can get my feet wet and wet my appetite from the upcoming database stuff?

Thanks everyone!

The Tarballed

bsdjunkie
June 24th, 2003, 20:19
www.mysql.com

They have a great tutorial that covers the basics os SQL

soup4you2
June 25th, 2003, 09:15
there's also some good sql referance guides at oracle.com and mysql has good docs on there site as well....

have fun SQL is a bitch...