gmoreno
July 12th, 2003, 01:52
Ok I'm familiar to linux and to Gentoo's portage system. Ok i've read the documentation on openbsd.org and I'm not catching on. Ok I set my env to the ftp site. ok and I typed add_pkg apache.tgz and I got an error message.

[code:1:26b3813020]can't find package 'apache.tgz'
[/code:1:26b3813020]
So I looked at the ftp server and no apache files. So I went to apache.org and rand pkg_add pointing to their openbsd package and I now get a message saying.

[code:1:26b3813020]pkg_add(apache_1.3.9-i386-whatever-openbsd.tar.gz): package `http://apache.org/dist/httpd/binaries/openbsd/apache_1.3.9-i386-whatever-openbsd.tar.gz' has no COMMENT file![/code:1:26b3813020]

Now I am thinking that if I get it running properly add_pkg will download and install apache and all its dependencies. Or am I just thinking like a Gentoo or Debian user.

Please don't flame me. :wink:

KrUsTy!
July 12th, 2003, 02:22
In the base install of OpenBSD, apache is already installed. You don't need to load it. It is even setup to run chrooted by default.

The config files are in /var/www

Just apachectl start and away you go, no packages required.

{K}

KrUsTy!
July 12th, 2003, 02:49
Now I am thinking that if I get it running properly add_pkg will download and install apache and all its dependencies. Or am I just thinking like a Gentoo or Debian user.

I don't think that the pkg_add system in OpenBSD does recursive fetches of dependencies. I could be wrong about this, can anyone else confirm? In FreeBSD you can "pkg_add -r" and it will do just that, but that option is missing from OpenBSD package system. I've always used the ports rather then try to add packages directly. Or at least the packages I add are not very complicated and don't have dependancies... :D

Really the ports system is what you would look to use instead of packages. The ports allows you to compile items, and while doing the compiles, the ports system will automagically build and install any dependencies required by the main build. The port tends to stay a bit more current then the pre-compiled packages.

http://www.openbsd.org/ports.html#Use

Please don't flame me. :wink:

SE is a flame free zone. We aim to help people and learn, not flame...

{K}

gmoreno
July 12th, 2003, 04:13
Oh ok. Thanks for the info and the linkage. OpenBSD took not very long to install so I supposed that it was an extremly lite install. That's good that it has it installed. I am downloading ports as I type. It looks like thats what I was looking for.

Thanks for the help again.

gmoreno
July 12th, 2003, 15:47
Ok I downloaded port and I was able to make bash. But I can't make anything else. Because I need gmake and libc and it cant compile the dependencies. For example. I tried to make emacs and I get:
[code:1:01f92716d9]
make all-recursive
Making all in glob
Making all in i18n
file=/usr/ports/devel/gmake/w-gmake-3.79.1/make-3.79.1/i18n/`echo de | sed 's,.*
/,,'`.mo && rm -f $file && msgfmt -o $file /usr/ports/devel/gmake/w-gmake-3.79.
1/make-3.79.1/i18n/de.po
/usr/libexec/ld.so: msgfmt: libc.so.28.5: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/devel/gmake/w-gmake-3.79.1/build-i386/i18n.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/devel/gmake/w-gmake-3.79.1/build-i386 (line 469 of Makefile).
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/devel/gmake/w-gmake-3.79.1/build-i386 (line 640 of Makefile).
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/devel/gmake (line 1749 of /usr/ports/infrastructure/mk/bsd.po
rt.mk).
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/editors/emacs (line 1287 of /usr/ports/infrastructure/mk/bsd.
port.mk).
[/code:1:01f92716d9]

Ok so now what?

|MiNi0n|
July 13th, 2003, 10:08
I don't think that the pkg_add system in OpenBSD does recursive fetches of dependencies.

It doesn't do them recursively like Free (ie - fetch the specified package and all it's dependencies) but it will fetch one from a remote URL when the proper variables are specified.

See pkg_add (http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=pkg_add&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=OpenBSD+Current&arch=i386&format=html) (1) for more.

gmoreno
July 13th, 2003, 12:56
I am not sure if I understand you. But you mean if I go into lets say /usr/ports/gmake and type make and it gives me a error message about not having libc(glibc?) then I have to track don a package for it and install it with pkg_add. I think this is what your saying. Just making sure. If this is true what's a good place to find these files? Thanks.

bsdjunkie
July 13th, 2003, 16:11
What version of the ports tree did you download? Make sure its the same as the version of open you are running. Many times, older/newer ports break if they are not from the same src tree,.

gmoreno
July 14th, 2003, 21:45
I think I installed the wrong version of the port. I had OpenBSD 3.3 installed and I had the port for the 3.2 installed. Because I following some docs and I saw something with 3.2. I will try to install it again since I had installed FreeBSD.

frisco
July 21st, 2003, 14:25
It doesn't do them recursively like Free (ie - fetch the specified package and all it's dependencies) but it will fetch one from a remote URL when the proper variables are specified.

OpenBSD also installs dependencies. From the manpage you referenced:

3. All package dependencies (from @pkgdep directives, see
pkg_create(1)) are read from the packing list. If any of these re-
quired packages are not currently installed, an attempt is made to
find and install it; if the missing package cannot be found or in-
stalled, the installation is terminated.

And from a recent install at work:
[code:1:e1141f7ed6]
$ pkg_info | wc -l
$ sudo pkg_add ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/3.3/packages/sparc64/p5-GD-1.41p1.tgz > /tmp/p5-GD.out 2>&1
$ pkg_info | wc -l
$
[/code:1:e1141f7ed6]

As long as all the required packages exist in the same place (same dir, same cd, same ftp/http site), then the dependancies will be fetched and installed. For ports, dependencies will be built and installed as well.