opus
July 23rd, 2003, 16:05
Anyone try it yet? Thoughts?

bsdjunkie
July 23rd, 2003, 16:16
I havnt used XFCE since its early stages.. If you familiar with the UNIX CDE, its not bad. Personally, i always seem to end up using windowmaker again after ive tried a new GUI.

socomm
July 23rd, 2003, 16:16
For a few months now I've been running xfce ( started off on 3 now on 4 ). Xfce is a great minimilistic desktop environment, however you should be warned that xfce4 is not as cholesterol free as xfce3 was this is due to the fact that gtk 2.* is alot more resource heavy than gtk 1.* ever was. I've found that turning off some of the xfce coponents will get you a nice speedy de minus some of the eye candy. My set up is xfwm4 and xftaskbar and it runs great looks good too ;)

opus
July 23rd, 2003, 16:27
That is good to know. I have been using Xfce3 for quite sometime and I like its speed. I was wondering if Xfce4 was going to be heavier than 3. Looks like it is.

soup4you2
July 23rd, 2003, 18:28
i seem to end up using WM myself... play w/ one get disappointed and go back to windowmaker

opus
July 23rd, 2003, 19:13
Cant say I ever played much with WM. I really like Xfce3 though, cant say I have one problem with it. I was using Icewm for a year but it looked too much like .....ummmmmm, what is that company in Washington again? :wink:

soup4you2
July 23rd, 2003, 19:47
the only thing they need to do is add in tabbed windows into windowmaker... then i will be in heven...

waimea added in tabbed windows only they call it "Merged windows" but it seems not to like the gnome libraries anymore.. :(

gorilla
September 11th, 2003, 08:53
I have been using xfce4 for several months now and I really like it. It is clean and efficent. It is somewhat more needy on resources than some of the lighter windowmanagers, but, that is not what xfce is. I think xfce is a small desktop enviroment and it works really well for this. I do not need all of the extra useless stuff that comes with gnome or kde.

xfce works great for me and I recommend it to anyone.

gorilla

stryder144
September 16th, 2003, 15:39
I plan on giving it a go once I get FreeBSD installed on my x86. I've always loved the minimalism of xfce3 but really yurned for a little more eye-candy. Now it seems like I can have the best of both worlds (light-weight and beautiful). Plus, I get to use some of the gnomish programs that I really like, like gnomesword.

Cheers