tarballed
July 30th, 2003, 18:57
Ok...after a day and half of bringing back my mail server to where it was, i've finally done it. I've also installed courier-imap, and from what I can tell, it seems to be working correctly.

Of course, I need to do some other tweaking and such, but so far, i'm farther ahead than I anticipated (Work is nutz right now!!)

Anyway, one thing about IMAP im curious about is the use of Maildir/.
Basically, I was doing some basic testing and tailing the maillog. I was testing using a netscape client configed with IMAP settings.

So I tailed the log, and noticed it failed at start because it could not find the directory. So I created a $HOME/Maildr, restarted everything and vwallaw, seems to let me login.

Ok, so as it is now, it appears that im using the following:

[code:1:78aee2c9d1]/usr/lib/courier-imap/libexec/authlib/authdaemond.plain start
/usr/lib/courier-imap/libexec/courierlogger imapd
/usr/lib/courier-imap/libexec/courierlogger imapd-ssl[/code:1:78aee2c9d1]

I'd eventually like to setup SSL, but first things first. I wanna make sure this is working, then move to that.

Just a few questions: With Maildir, all email for the person is held in $HOME/Maildir? If they create folders, those folders will be created beneath $HOME/Maildir ?

Ok...where else and what else can I do to configure this properly as well as make this more secure and efficient?

Thanks everyone....looking forward to your help.

Tarballed

tarballed
July 31st, 2003, 15:24
Ok...I have courier-imap up and running. Im doing some mroe testing but everything looks good so far.

I do have a question though. Im using the Netscape Mail client, setup with IMAP.

Here is where I get confuse: When I fire up the Netscape client and tail the mail log, I can see in the log that it shows me checking my mail through imap.

Ok, what's odd though is that it does not show me logging out. What I did find out though is that in order for me to see that i logged out, I have to 'exit' the client which means going to FILE -> exit.

Well what this does is also shutdown all my other netscape navigator windows as well. Not really want I want it to do.

Anyone have a problem with this?

Tarballed