Kodo
August 3rd, 2003, 16:16
how do I load the gui?

Kernel_Killer
August 3rd, 2003, 17:37
To load it, run 'startx'. If you get errors, you are most likely running into a config error. If you do, run 'sysinstall' as root, and go to Configure>XFree86>xf86cfg --text-mode. Here you will be able to set all of your video config variables.

elmore
August 3rd, 2003, 17:41
Have you loaded X11 ?

If not cd in /usr/ports/X11/XFree86

then a make all install clean

after thats done type rehash then cd into your home dir and type the following:

XFree86 -configure

that'll generate a working X11 setup on your box then just copy you XF86Config.new file to /etc/X11/XF86Config,

then a startx should get you a basic gui.

Now you'll prolly want somesort of desktop interface like gnome or kde so once you have a base install of X working cd into /usr/ports/X11/kde3

and do a make all install clean

then followed by a rehash command and then cd into your home dir and type:

vi .xinitrc

add then following line

exec start-kde

save the file and you should be good to go, the next time you type a startx kde should load.

It should be said that I can't remember if the XFree86 port is XFree86 or XFree86-4 so maybe someone else could verify as I'm not on a FreeBSD box right now and I also can;t remember if the command in .xinitrc is startkde or start-kde, for the same reasons. I'm sure someone else will verify quickly though.

Kodo
August 3rd, 2003, 20:18
yup, I installed pretty much everything for X11. I did what Kernel said and it loaded up, though my mouse was really squirelly.. don't know why.

elmore
August 3rd, 2003, 20:44
you need to configure moused.

You can do that through sysinstall by running

/stand/sysinstall

Then by going to the post setup configuration options and selecting the mouse menu. That'll be the easiest way for you.

Kodo
August 3rd, 2003, 20:49
been there.. tried it several times.. is there any way to definitively tell that the config has been saved?

silverlokk
August 5th, 2003, 03:12
Might have to change your mouse protocol to "Auto" in XF86Config. That's what I did. Then I examined /var/log/XFree86.0.log and checked, just for curiosity, what protocol XFree finally used -- in my case, it was SysMouse. I'm not sure if I can go back and edit XF86Config so's it uses SysMouse instead. Works, don't wanna touch it :cool:

As to starting up X, you can modify /etc/ttys:

[code:1:db5eb204eb]
ttyv8 "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon" xterm on secure
[/code:1:db5eb204eb]

That is, if you're using xdm. If you're using gdm (or is it kdm??), there's another method I don't remember at the moment.

Regards, hope this helps.