GhostDawg
August 6th, 2003, 14:56
I'm ready to configure my kernel for the first time using Free 4.7 and looked through the config file.

To make changes, what should I do, comment out things I don't want and uncomment things I do want?

Any other suggestions or tips?

I've got a Shuttle AK37A mobo, AMD Athlon 1700 XP cpu, 384mb of ram, ATI Radeon 7200 agp VC, VIA AC'97 onboard SC, and a Liteon cd 52x24x52 burner.

Thnx.

KrUsTy!
August 6th, 2003, 15:37
I always try to take out or comment out as much as possible. Of course, not to much.... You will want to make a copy of the default kernel file and edit that, and config your kernel from the new file. Best to leave the default kernel config as a reference and do your work on another file. That way it's easier to get yourself out of trouble.

If you don't have any SCSI devices you can start there, but you will want to leave some of the general SCSI items as they work with other drivers you might not think of.

[code:1:db22f4fd7d]device da # Direct Access (disks)[/code:1:db22f4fd7d]

The da device although listed as a SCSI device is actually used by other disk drivers, like the USB drivers for disks.

The RAID devices too are another place to trim if your not using and RAID hardware. I trim out any ethernet devices other then what I'm using.

The FreeBSD handbook has some advice on the matter,

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig-config.html

Of course you will want to add some things into the kernel as well, like sound support.

[code:1:db22f4fd7d]device pcm[/code:1:db22f4fd7d]

That works for most modern sound cards.

Oh, I always take out the tcp/ip support for the parrell port. Who does that anyway?!?

[code:1:db22f4fd7d]device plip # TCP/IP over parallel[/code:1:db22f4fd7d]

Doing a dmesg and getting output of what devices were used during start-up from the default kernel helps in not turn off things that your using and just didn't remember that you were.

Hope this gets you started....

{K}

GhostDawg
August 6th, 2003, 16:01
Thanks, yes I read on configuring the kernel and just wanted to make sure. I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Kernel_Killer
August 6th, 2003, 17:33
Don't forget:
[code:1:33385debca]
options CPU_ENABLE_SSE
[/code:1:33385debca]

soup4you2
August 6th, 2003, 19:39
[code:1:0a8519e217]

#/* Choose your Firewall */
#IPF
options IPFILTER
options IPFILTER_LOG
options IPFILTER_DEFAULT_BLOCK
#IPFW
options IPFIREWALL
options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
#options IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT
#/* End Firewall

device pcm #Sound Card Support
options IPSEC #IPSEC
options IPSEC_ESP
options IPSTEALTH # hide from traceroutes
options TCP_DROP_SYNFIN # hide from nmap
[/code:1:0a8519e217]

GhostDawg
August 8th, 2003, 19:35
This is all helpful...thnx. I already did a sorta practice run at compiling the kernel but didn't really change anything.

But with this info I'll do it for real.

Thnx.