soup4you2
August 6th, 2003, 21:58
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1886411743.01._PE30_PI_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Absolute BSD: The Ultimate Guide to FreeBSD
Looks really good so far about twice the size as the openbsd one.. written by the same author... recommend for some good reading..

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1886411743/ref=pd_sim_books_1/002-5053071-3967207?v=glance&s=books

Chapters:

Installation
Getting more help
Backup and recovery
kernel games
networking
upgrading freebsd
securing your system
advanced security features
all about /etc
making your system useful
advanced software management
finding hosts with DNS
managing small network services
email services
web and ftp services
filesystems and disks
raid
system performance
now whats it doing
system crashes and panics
desktop freebsd

This is a really great book.. i purchsed both this one abd absolute openbsd and cant seem to put them down.. though i arlready know most of the content in this book it still makes a great reference. and i did learn a thing or two...

dave
September 10th, 2003, 21:38
Yeah, I also purchased this book, seems to be a really good reference book, Also went with the O'Reilly "The Complete FreeBSD", they both make pretty good reference manuals if you're brain is feeling a tad numb. I think these two are probably up the top of the Freebie books, however haven't had a look at much else so I wouldn't say my opinion is too educated ;)

rob897
November 8th, 2003, 23:38
This book is alot better than The Complete FreeBSD book I bought.

dave
November 9th, 2003, 00:13
I have both books and agree with you on that one, "the absolute bsd" book is a lot better reference manual than "the complete freebsd". So if you're ever looking for a good BSD book, go with absolute bsd over the complete freebsd.

- dave

bumbler
June 28th, 2004, 10:36
If I compare Absolute BSD with FreeBSD Unleashed, I'd have to say the former is vastly superior, all the more so for newbies such as myself. I selfishly keep it at hand next to my computer, while the other I loan out all the time.

Bumbler