cod3fr3ak
August 12th, 2003, 23:06
I have a pretty old laptop I am trying to install with OpenBSD 3.3. It has no CD-Rom however. I've not been able to get the install program to to recognize any -- any pcmcia card I insert into the cardbus slot. Does anyone here have any exprienece with this? If I can not get the network card to work for install, how difficult is it to install the OS via floppy -- yes floppy :?

frisco
August 13th, 2003, 02:27
I've an old laptop with no floppy/cd drive. To install, i opened it up and removed the hard drive, then bought an adapter so a laptop drive can be used in a regular ide chain and installed on a separate workstation. Once that was done, i put the drive back in the laptop and it worked fine. Perhaps the same will work for you.

Otherwise, are you sure you're using the right floppy image for the pcmcia cards you're trying?

Strog
August 13th, 2003, 10:15
Are the cards actually cardbus or have you tried any 16-bit cards??

Cardbus has been an issue in the past but is working now. I'm not sure how good the support is on the floppies. Have you tried the alternate floppies at all?

jedaffra
August 13th, 2003, 14:52
After having exerpienced laptop installation issues with CardBus last year (OBSD 3.1 or 3.2), I recently took a look at the RAMDISKC kernel configuration file for floppyC33.fs (i386).

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/sys/arch/i386/conf/RAMDISKC?rev=HEAD

Can anyone tell me what the heck this line is for??

#hme* at pci? dev ? function ? # Sun Happy Meal

frisco
August 13th, 2003, 15:18
Can anyone tell me what the heck this line is for??

#hme* at pci? dev ? function ? # Sun Happy Meal

hme is the driver for Sun fast ethernet cards, aka Sun Happy Meal Ethernet cards. Not sure about the etymology of that spin on the acronym, maybe i should call in a help ticket to Sun and find out.

In this case it's commented out for that kernel. There are man pages for most every driver you'll see in the config, `man hme` will get you more info.

cod3fr3ak
August 14th, 2003, 17:04
Ok well here is a summary of what has happened with this install:

I've tried several different cards including wi fi and ethernet. Only the wi-fi card even shows a flicker of workability.

What is the 16 volt diff?

Ok a little more info. Using the generic floppy and the SMC 2632W wireless card i get on error: tx failled allocation. If i use floppy C I get a SIOCGWAVELAN: device not configured error. I would go into greater depth but I a little miffed becasue my browser crashed while i was typing in a truely detail explaination. I mightpost again later. but I need a break 10 hours infron of the screen have made me a little cranky.