chowhai
August 31st, 2002, 12:39
Hi,
I'm new to OpenBSD and was trying it out for the past few hours. What I would like to know is whether it supports any OpenGL 3D accel. I have a 3DFX voodoo 3000 card and I wonder if it will work with the XF4 in OpenBSD to support 3d accel.

Also, I know that FreeBSD has a hack in the form of drm-kmod to enable 3D accel for voodoo 3000.

If that is not possible, i'd like to know which graphic cards are best supported for 3D accel.

Thank in advance

elmore
August 31st, 2002, 20:24
To the best of my knowledge there is no Graphics acceleration available in OpenBSD yet. However, that doesn't mean you can't use a 3dfx card or an nvidia card or whatever in OpenBSD. I use a VooDoo 3000 in my main OpenBSD workstation and it works just fine.

bsdjunkie
August 31st, 2002, 22:09
I dont think you can use acceleration yet in obsd. It is still an all around great card for unix though, never had a problem with mine on older systems.

chowhai
September 2nd, 2002, 22:08
there are many games in the ports collection and most requires 3D accel in order to be playable. I was wondering, if there is no 3d accel in obsd, then why would anyone port 3d accelerated games??(eg. quake2 xracer..etc).

bsdjunkie
September 2nd, 2002, 22:35
Are you sure your thinking about OpenBSD?
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ports/games/

there are no ports in there that require 3d accel in X.

:roll:

IcePic
September 6th, 2002, 06:02
there are many games in the ports collection and most requires 3D accel in order to be playable. I was wondering, if there is no 3d accel in obsd, then why would anyone port 3d accelerated games??(eg. quake2 xracer..etc).
Xfree still accelerates for all cards that have opensource acceleration info given out
by the manufacturers. It's not as much a obsd -vs- other-unices, it's what Xfree can and
can not do. Nvidia for instance, produces precompiled Xfree drivers for linux-x86 so they
get more acceleration, but you can still enjoy some acceleration depending on which card
you have, and what acc-spport there is in the version of Xfree you are using.
But 3dfx probably isn't a very prioritized driver I guess.
www.xfree.org for more info.

chowhai
September 6th, 2002, 11:17
Thnx for the info. Can anyone suggest a good 3D card with acceleration info given out. I believe quake was in the /ports/games dir.
If i can get 3d accel out of openbsd/unices, then i would have found the holy grail for OS ; at least for me.

Thnx for the feedback guys

schotty
September 20th, 2002, 18:34
From what I hear, FreeBSD is more suited for desktop use than OpenBSD. And nVIDIA has picked up on freeBSD for driver support. I had purchased on BSD Mall's birthday a FreeBSD box set for cheap. But I have yet to even install it. I know the CD's are pretty colors ;D

I run nVIDIA at home, so I follow them. I dunno about 3dfx cards. Or ATI for the matter.

frisco
September 20th, 2002, 22:55
From what I hear, FreeBSD is more suited for desktop use than OpenBSD.

this really depends on your definition of "desktop use".

my 2 coworkers and i all have the same hardware for our desktop workstations. I run OpenBSD (http://www.blackant.net/other/sc/) on my workstation, Joe runs linux (http://django.wccnet.org/desktop/) on his, and Rex runs FreeBSD (http://work.rexroof.com/screenshot.jpg).

point being, what is usable is really a personal decision.

schotty
September 21st, 2002, 15:58
I agree. I personally prefer OpenBSD to servers and Linux to the desktop. But thats me. For gaming, to stick with BSD FreeBSD seems like a more natural choice. But as you say, to each their own. My FreeBSD experience is not very extensive, but OpenBSD is much more. I find that OpenBSD has little windows interoperability (not necessarily a bad thing, mind you) and no decent support for nVIDIA 3d/GL. Hence why I stuck with linux for my main boxes at work and home. But since the original poster wanted hardware accelarted 3d drivers, I reccomended FreeBSD.

I try to refrain from "Use this because its better", but use "For me I would TRY this, and see if it fits your needs. It worked better for me, perhaps you will gain the same."

If I sounded arrogant, I apologize. I didnt want to come off that way.