dave
August 28th, 2003, 20:25
Have been having some problems trying to get FreeBSD 4.8 installed on a crappy dual P200 PCserver but have been having a bit of a problem. When installing, prior to the original setup screen (after selecting components) it comes up with the standard "wait 15 seconds for scsi to idle" style message. From there I could wait a good 15 years and it would still be sitting on that screen. Is there anyone out there who has had experience installing freebsd on a PCserver 325 before? NetBSD seems to work fine, although that only has a 2 seconds SCSI wait?? That and I've installed FreeBSD on many a machine before, this one just has got me lost =)

Cheers, - dave

elmore
August 30th, 2003, 10:20
I've had problems on cubix boxes before. Where the O.S. doesn't reset the scsi card. Though it will initially boot a reboot is impossible.

What type os SCSI card do you have in the computer? Is it supported in the GENERIC kernel?

dave
August 31st, 2003, 20:57
I'm quite sure that the onboard SCSI adapter is an AIC7880, I don't think I'm going to be able to get past this one, as I found someone who had the same problem with the same box/adapter who still hasn't had any luck. *looks towards openbsd for this box* :)

elmore
August 31st, 2003, 23:24
obsd is a good choice but as the server is a dual 200mhz you might consider netbsd. Let me look at my cubix boxes this week though. I think they have the same card, and I'm fairly sertain that I did something to get them to boot. I'll look on Tuesday.

dave
September 10th, 2003, 21:24
Hrm, was having a look around on some other sites about getting 2K installed on this evil machine but came across another person with the same old problem, ended up being a non-LVD SCSI cable on a LVD chain. No idea if that's my problem yet because I have nfi about SCSI and don't really have to much interest in learning it, leave this to one of my co-workers to figure out. Just thought I'd post that incase someone else has the same problem in the future.

Then again, who in the future will want to use a PC Server 325?

ahh well...