jedaffra
August 30th, 2003, 13:26
Ok, I've got X configured, ran pkg_add to get KDE from ftp.openbsd.org - now what do I do to start the sucker....

help!!

elmore
August 30th, 2003, 13:47
edit the .xinitrc file in your home. If you don't have one just create it and add:

[code:1:6453712905]
exec startkde
[/code:1:6453712905]

jedaffra
August 30th, 2003, 23:09
edit the .xinitrc file in your home. If you don't have one just create it and add:

[code:1:dc529e5351]
exec startkde
[/code:1:dc529e5351]

What's the best way to do this, I mean, right now I login and type 'startx'. If I create the .xinitrc file with the above code, KDE will automatically start? :? :?

Is there anything wrong with starting X this way? Should I have it start another way???

This is all new to me so I appreciate all your help

socomm
August 30th, 2003, 23:25
Do you mean start XF86 server on system boot? If so try something like XDM, GDM, or KDM IMHO GDM is the prettiest ;), though if you're strapped for CPU cycles XDM would be a better choice.

Kernel_Killer
August 30th, 2003, 23:41
If you want to use a desktop login manager, you can use my HOW-TO for the FreeBSD using KDM. Should work the same in OpenBSD.

jedaffra
August 31st, 2003, 23:03
Ok, so I wanna install KDE on OpenBSD and I'm checking out the list of packages on ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/3.3/packages/i386 from another computer. There's alot of packages that start with kde*

How do find out which is the correct package to run pkg_add for ??? Is there a simple way to do that without having to download the entire ports collection?

v902
August 31st, 2003, 23:06
I would ask someone with an OpenBSD box with updated ports to tell you the dependicies for kdebase-3.1.tgz (or 3.1p0 I don't know which, I don't do KDE)

jedaffra
August 31st, 2003, 23:17
From what I've read, doing a pkg_add ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/.../package-name.tgz will automatically download the package, add the package (of course) and get/install all the package dependancies... but do I have the correct package to start with??? How do I find out which package is the one to start pkg_add with??? know what I mean vern?

Just outta curiosity Vlad, you don't use KDE, what do you use? :)

v902
August 31st, 2003, 23:22
Well my system got wiped :( But when I had it I use fluxbox, I'm into the whole DE thing... I'm not sure if it grabs dependicies or not, I don't think it does but I'm rusty :? And since it _is_ KDE Base it sounds like the thing to add :) Plus if you were to lets say add kate (a text editor that does such beautiful syntax highlighting... The only thing that I miss from DEs') it would probably get KDE Base, libs etc. for you, I'd just try pkg_add ${PKG_PATH}/kdebase-3.1.tgz and see what happens...

jedaffra
August 31st, 2003, 23:31
I'm not sure if it grabs dependicies or not, I don't think it does but I'm rusty :?

Hey Vlad, from the pkg_add man page: Technical details

3. All package dependencies (from @pkgdep directives, see
pkg_create(1)) are read from the packing list. If any of these re-
quired packages are not currently installed, an attempt is made to
find and install it; if the missing package cannot be found or in-
stalled, the installation is terminated.

I'd just try pkg_add ${PKG_PATH}/kdebase-3.1.tgz and see what happens...

Ahh, maybe kdebase is the one I should be trying...

v902
August 31st, 2003, 23:33
Doh, I keep forgetting there are OpenBSD man pages online :) Do tell what results you get and if it works... Cheers!