dsantamassino
August 30th, 2003, 20:13
I want to run cfdisk in Redhat Linux 8.0. Do i install it as a command line?? I know when i boot off of the CD i would have to type linux text and i think Enter would be graphical mode. I want to run cfdisk to delete all of my partitions. I have another question. When i create new partitions using cfdisk. Could i create windows XP partitions using cfdisk?? I need to do this now. Please reply back. Thanks guys.

tarballed
August 30th, 2003, 20:20
Hmm...not sure if you can run cfdisk with Red Hat's install. The only Linux distro that i've used that will allow you to use cfdisk is Debian...

You should be able to use either Disk Druid or FDISK I believe with RH 8.0 using the install...

As far as creating an XP partition, are you trying to dual boot or something?

To make things easier (Windows is a pain the ass to dual boot) I would just create a partition that you want XP to be on and then when you install XP, install it on that partition...not sure if that is what your looking for though...
The other option is to use fdisk/cfdisk, create the parition and change the partition type...using L i believe, then get a listing of the partitions you can create...

Tarballed

dsantamassino
August 30th, 2003, 20:24
tarballed please read this link and read near the end of the page and then reply back here. ok??

http://www.linuxjunior.org/yabbse/index.php?board=25;action=display;threadid=7641

dsantamassino
August 30th, 2003, 20:39
Hey tarballed. Did you read that link?? I don't know exactly what he wants me to do. He prefers me to use cfdisk over fdisk. I guess there is a way to create windows partitions using cfdisk or fdisk in linux. That whats it sounds like to me. Do you have an idea on that??

tarballed
August 30th, 2003, 21:14
Basically, from what I gather, he is saying that you can boot of a Linux CD and go through the install process...

On any Linux/*BSD install, you have to partition your disk before the install occurs. This 'cleans and preps' the disk for the OS to be installed...

So what he suggested was boot off a Linux CD, and use the install setup to partition your disk, either with FDISK or CFDISk, which ever one is available...

As far as creating a XP partition: You can create a partition for XP and set it as a NTFS partition (default filesystem type for XP I believe)...But as I said, just partition your disk as you like and create one extra partition that you want to install XP on...then, when you install XP, select the partition that you created for it...

Tarballed

dsantamassino
August 30th, 2003, 21:20
tarballed. My C: drive does not register. That's the drive i want it on. Right now XP is on drive D:. C: drive is down. Can you please help me by getting my C: drive up and running?? Please reply back. Thanks.

v902
August 30th, 2003, 21:31
There are no C or D drives in Linux, these are just labels for partitions, when you enter fdisk run a p to print out your partition layout (or just fdisk -l), m shows you all the commands...

dsantamassino
August 30th, 2003, 21:38
I am not running linux or anything similar. I am running Windows XP pro. My Windows C; drive is down. This had not to do with any type of Linux. Just please help me that's it. Eventually i will get Redhat on my computer but i want my C: drive to register first. The only OS i have on my computer now is Windows XP pro and it's on my D: drive. Is that clear?? Not linux. Please reply vlad. Thanks.

Kernel_Killer
August 30th, 2003, 23:38
You need to go into disk manager, and format the drive. Since it's not formated in FAT or NTFS, it's not showing as a drive.

elmore
August 31st, 2003, 01:35
This topic has been moved to the General Questions forum.

dsantamassino
August 31st, 2003, 08:49
I went into disk manager and you could not click on format. Why was there an error when i tryed to install MS-DOS 6.22?? It started to format and there was an error detected on my primary hard disk partition. That would be drive C: for me because C: boots up my computer. Please reply back. Thanks.