Former Member
September 2nd, 2003, 13:31
there wasn't a specific forum for this, so this seemed like the only place really suitable...
I'm on Windows atm and will be for a week or two longer, I logon the site and it just loops back to the sign-on screen, though when I logon for a second time, there have been no posts made whatsoever. I presume I'm logged in and get logged out straight away during the first attempt...
this started happened about 3 days ago, umm cheers :evil:

frisco
September 2nd, 2003, 14:11
Do you have cookies disabled?

elmore
September 2nd, 2003, 15:06
cookies does seem to be the likely culprit. What theme are you using? Also what browser.

Former Member
September 2nd, 2003, 15:52
I'm using IE.
Cookies are enabled, though third party cookies are blocked.
I'm using the aeolus theme, which doesn't have a statistics link :x

As this became a problem only recently, I'm pretty sure cookies or browser configuration is not the problem.

Just really buggin me, can't ever see new posts without lookin

soup4you2
September 2nd, 2003, 16:10
i've tried w/ both IE and Mozilla and have had no problems

elmore
September 2nd, 2003, 16:13
I'm using IE.

The only problem I'm aware of with I.E. is with the logo. It doesn't show properly in I.E.

Cookies are enabled, though third party cookies are blocked.

Try to removew the se cookie. Should be se-org in your cookie's folder.
I have seen this problem before.

I'm using the aeolus theme, which doesn't have a statistics link :x

No statistics link though you can still get to the statistics page from any theme by going to http://screamingelectron.org/phpBB2/statistics.php?

There's also a link in the FAQ. I'll add a link to Aeolus as well. I've just been plain lazy about it.

As this became a problem only recently, I'm pretty sure cookies or browser configuration is not the problem.

Yeah it may very well not be cookie related. I'll look into it from my windows box when I get home and see what I can see. I'll also open up a tthread on phpbb.com and post updates to it here.

Just really buggin me, can't ever see new posts without lookin

Don't get me wrong man, it bugs me too. I want the site to work for everyone and I get pissed when it doesn't work. I'll get it worked out for you. Please do try the suggested solution above and we'll move forward from there.

Regards,

soup4you2
September 2nd, 2003, 16:28
Why does IE wig out on your banner? perhaps we could come up with a way to fix that..

btw i really like that stats page... is it standard w/ phpbb2? or was it an addon?

elmore
September 2nd, 2003, 16:31
nah it was part of the stats add-on I did a while back!

Former Member
September 2nd, 2003, 16:40
Well, the logon is resolved, though resolved before I saw any posts... I'm gonna check out what's been suggested to see if it's been done automatically.
The stats page is really cool, I like to see that level of effort. I've currently been just using the address and not clicking...call me lazy, but i like the click

Former Member
September 2nd, 2003, 16:44
oki, well, in IE, I'm clicking on the login link on the http://screamingelectron.org/phpBB2/ page, and the address im directed to is http://screamingelectron.org/phpBB2/login.php?sid=1f6b09ff01072fc8bee05d30ee6f9faf
when I remove the 'sid=1f6b09ff01072fc8bee05d30ee6f9faf' section of the address, the login works fine....any ideas why?

soup4you2
September 2nd, 2003, 16:59
Clear your history and temp files

Strog
September 2nd, 2003, 17:17
Soup4you2 says:

Why does IE wig out on your banner? perhaps we could come up with a way to fix that..

IE doesn't do transparent png. You got a tall order there to fix that. It would be much easier to convince elmore to use gif. :twisted:

Everyone email Microsoft and ask for better png support.

elmore
September 2nd, 2003, 17:20
Perhaps our resident artist Jedaffra can whip us up some gif images.

I'm not sure though if gif can do transparency. Anyone know?

soup4you2
September 2nd, 2003, 17:21
Everyone email Microsoft and ask for better png support.

why stop there? why not ask for a better OS.. oh i know why.. because their just going to take the same crappy OS and make it more bloated.. saying it's better and 10x faster

Former Member
September 2nd, 2003, 18:07
The temp files did it thanks soup :) :oops:

I thought Windows has better png support planned for Longhorn if not already released... didn't they aquire the technology from buying a company out?

not sure about gif capabilities, sorry elmore

frisco
September 2nd, 2003, 21:41
I'm not sure though if gif can do transparency. Anyone know?

If memory serves me correct, gif can do transparency in a more limited fashion than png. Png has a full alpha channel for transparency, while gif can only make one colour transparent. This means png can do 256 levels of transparency (0% transparent, 33% transparent, etc etc), while gif can only do 2 levels of transparency (either 0% transparent or 100% transparent).

For web images, this transparency difference is most noticeable along the borders of transparent gifs. Generally these are designed with the background colour of the page in mind, so if you change the colour of the page the way the image seems to blend into the background will be lost, replaced with pixelization.