Kernel_Killer
September 5th, 2003, 03:42
Having trouble setting my password with a host. This is what I get:

[code:1:7816280550]
KK@/home/KK> mysqladmin -u root -h fakehost password 'password'
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'fakehost' failed
error: 'Host 'fakehost.fakedomain' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server'
[/code:1:7816280550]

Now I did change my /etc/hosts file to show 127.0.0.1 as fakehost.fakedomain fakehost. I also tried setting my internal IP to the same host/domain, and still recieved the same error. If I do a command without the host I don't have any trouble, but I need to be able to add the host command. None of the mysqladmin commands produce a different error. Same with telnetting the port. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

soup4you2
September 7th, 2003, 14:50
If you can still get into mysql use this method

$mysql -u root -p

\u mysql;
SELECT * FROM user;

you should see your users..

now are you just using this for the localhost? no other machies connecting?

if so
DELETE FROM user WHERE Host = 'hostname';
DELETE FROM user WHERE User = '';
SET PASSWORD FOR 'root'@'localhost'=PASSWORD('SoupIsGod');
DROP DATABASE test;
commit;

and to add in other users.. i recommend removing root and using some diffrent name for your master user..

INSERT INTO user VALUES ('localhost','db_admin',PASSWORD('password'),'Y',' Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y','Y' );

there should be 14 Yes's

soup4you2
September 9th, 2003, 10:50
did this help?

Kernel_Killer
September 9th, 2003, 17:03
Sorry Soup4You2. Worked great. I deleted the user from the tables, and then issued new ones to the sguildb table. Work great!

soup4you2
September 9th, 2003, 17:17
If your not too good w/ your SQL queries there's some nice GUI frontends for Mysql.. there's even a web based one called PhpMyAdmin

Kernel_Killer
October 22nd, 2003, 04:29
I've tried some of those GUI apps, but it's just not the same. I need to learn this stuff (Don't ask why. I don't know). :D

soup4you2
October 22nd, 2003, 09:29
I've tried some of those GUI apps, but it's just not the same. I need to learn this stuff (Don't ask why. I don't know). :D

good man... when i took my oracle classes i got a good handle for sql.. though most of what i learned is slipping now..

I guess i should go ahead and install that oracle zip on my playbox..

molotov
October 23rd, 2003, 00:25
PhpMySQL admin is a nice tool for web based admin work, very nice for editing stuff, and tme saving in general, although i agree that knowing the cli is of great importance. You might at least want to give it a try, i know my work would be a lot harder without it.

soup4you2
October 23rd, 2003, 01:00
if you goto oracles site and register w/ them they have some nice SQL reference pdf's

some may pertain to PL/SQL but there's still some SQL stuff in there