bmw
September 9th, 2003, 21:30
"Are you headed to junior high schools to round up the usual suspects?" Sen. Dick Durbin asked, according to the AP."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/32740.html

Oh yeah, this'll be good for their image. :-)

elmore
September 9th, 2003, 21:40
I read somewhere recently (or someone told I can't remember) that record sales are down another 12% as a result of these lawsuits. I just think that's too funny. Suing 12 year old girls. Pathetic really. Anyone know how many gigs of mp3's this girl had?

socomm
September 9th, 2003, 21:54
From what I gather record labels are fighting to keep control over the distribution medium, however along the way they are losing( or at the least pissing off )some of their most ardent customers.

Without exception, we believe artists have the right to be compensated. For that to happen, their work must be protected.

-- David Schlang. Chairman, National Assn. of Recording Merchandisers.

These business men want to do old world business in a new world market, or as Nobuyuki Idei, Chairman, Sony Corp, put it.

They have to change their mind-set away from selling albums and think about selling singles over the Internet for as cheap as possible -- even 20 cents or 10 cents -- and encourage file sharing so they can also get micro-payments for these files. The music industry has to reinvent itself; we can no longer control distribution the way we used.

v902
September 10th, 2003, 00:11
I'm not a fan of the RIAA, but I have to say something, illegal is illegal, I don't feel what they did is right but the girl is old enough to understand the difference between right and wrong and age/ignorance is no excuse... She's apparently an honors student so I don't see why she didn't know...

On another note, I will be gone for 2 weeks at court :P

Former Member
September 10th, 2003, 04:03
sometimes what's right isn't right. RIAA were in their rights to sue, and they should of, but it was a low, foolish act. I would of thought they target the main uploaders, not downloaders. Unless, within the p2p software agreement lies the statement: It is illegal to share illegally uploaded media files and even if it does, there is no tag whatsoever marking the mp3 an illegal upload.

There also the issue of the owners rights. It was a long time since i viewed the agreement, so i cant be totally sure, it's illegal for public hearing and sharing amongst friends. Though just to add, the default for any Kazaa or p2p, will be at least one shared folder, the girl could of downloaded and not disabled the shared folders, which in itself is a kind act that in no community warrants such a penalty.

I'm not going to buy another piece of music again, I lay my life on that statement. F?ck RIAA.

These business men want to do old world business in a new world market, or as Nobuyuki Idei, Chairman, Sony Corp, put it.

They have to change their mind-set away from selling albums and think about selling singles over the Internet for as cheap as possible -- even 20 cents or 10 cents -- and encourage file sharing so they can also get micro-payments for these files. The music industry has to reinvent itself; we can no longer control distribution the way we used.

nice quote :)

socomm
September 10th, 2003, 11:53
She's apparently an honors student so I don't see why she didn't know...

You haven't spent much time with working class people, have you?

hugh nicks
September 10th, 2003, 12:42
I would of thought they target the main uploaders, not downloaders.

apparently, they went after those who had transfered over 1000 files total.

things are about to get shook up anyways. search for the recent article about the guy who bought the song from itunes for a buck, and then wants to sell it on ebay. he's said he's purchased the licence for the song (which is what you do when you buy music, you shouldn't be paying for the media in which it's distributed). apparently, apple commented on the situ.

wish i could find the link....

-hn

here's one, not the original article i read, but good though..

http://news.com.com/2100-1025_3-5071108.html

hugh nicks
September 10th, 2003, 13:00
that's why i don't feel guilty about filesharing. i don't think it's fair that people had to buy 8 tracks, vinyl, tapes, and cd's for the same bloody album. and whenever the new medium comes out to replace cd's, are you going to want to replace your collection *again*? i've more than paid out to the industry, and at least when i fileshare, i'm not d/l albums and albums. i'll get the one or two quality trax that are out there, not just stuffing my mouth because there's food.

i'd say that's my two cents, but i think i swallowed one.....*cough*...choking on my own rage here.

-hn

Former Member
September 10th, 2003, 16:55
It is a good link, though one line really irritates me :evil:
legal experts said Hotelling's auction highlights the fact that there are still some kinks to be worked out
Brings such a light to the attitudes of people these days. Money orientated or what :(
To just quickly wrap up what i'm thinking right now(just woke up)all i can say is that people make the rules, not the corporations.