bmw
September 11th, 2003, 08:37
I check SE at home and at work. Often, I leave some messages unanswered at work, say, expecting to check 'em when I get home (or vice versa). But when I check again I get the "no posts since last visit" message. Gah! Now I have to wander around aimlessly checking the posting dates on the various topics in the hopes that I'll twig to what it was I wanted to read further.

I suppose that is a PHPbb thing, but am I the only one this happens to?

Speaking of PHPbb: how come there's no PHP general topic, or at least a "web services programming" topic?

elmore
September 11th, 2003, 09:46
That happens to me in the classic theme. I don't have any troubles with the subsilver, Aeolus, or blacksoul theme.

We did have a php forum but we voted to merge into the programming forum a while back.

bmw
September 11th, 2003, 10:57
I'm using subSilver, which was the default when I registered. I use Netscape 7 when reading SE, on both FreeBSD and Win98SE (SE for Screaming Electron version of course).

elmore
September 11th, 2003, 11:22
Delete the cookies from both machines you browse SE with. Hopefully that will fix your issue. At least the guys over at phpBB think it will. The SE cookie should be se-org in your cookie folder.

Let me know if that works if not, I'll open up an official thread over at phpBB.com

bmw
September 12th, 2003, 07:52
Ok, I deleted *all* SE cookies on both machines; problem remains.

I had about 8-9 unread messages on my home NS7 at 5:00AM this morning; when I checked just now (6:55AM) at the office, "no unread posts since last visit".

elmore
September 13th, 2003, 23:54
Haven't forgotten about this bmw I have just been busy with other things as you can probably see.

Anyways, I'll open up an official thread at phpbb.com tomorrow and cross post it here.

Thanks.

Former Member
September 14th, 2003, 12:57
I had v similiar issue by the sounds of things, only with IE. Deleting temp files solved it ;/

bmw
September 19th, 2003, 22:56
New info: changing your IP erases the "new msgs" list immediately.

I was working on something and had SE in another NS tab, refreshing now and then. I had a list of about six things that were "new since last visit".

My stupid bloody DSL link dropped for reasons unknown (maybe something to do with the PPPoE MRU issue--I was uploading a large file at the time and it was struggling); the next time I refreshed SE--whammo! zero "msgs since last visit"--wiped clean.

So the phpBB session is tied to the IP in some manner, and the state of the "new msgs" list must be kept in the session.

The same thing must happen if I go from home to work, or vice-versa. phpBB must think I've changed my IP, it assumes I've logged-out and back in, and it wipes my session state.

There must be a better way for them to do that.

elmore
September 25th, 2003, 13:29
OK I added a new feature. You'll notice now that above the view posts since last visit link there a search option to view posts in the last 15 minutes, 30, minutes 1 hour, etc. etc.

This should provide the functionality you are looking for. ;)

If you find any bugs in this please let me know.

bmw
September 25th, 2003, 13:34
OK I added a new feature.
Yeah, I tried it already--works nicely! Thanks!

(I noticed it appear while SE was in a very weird state, with missing URLs and all sorts of funky stuff. All AOK now tho ...)

elmore
September 25th, 2003, 13:36
(I noticed it appear while SE was in a very weird state, with missing URLs and all sorts of funky stuff. All AOK now tho ...)

Nothing like incorrect php syntax in your main language file to screw up all the links on the board. DOH! :oops: