soup4you2
September 12th, 2003, 12:56
Well now we see what direction linux is going.... lol

http://www.mandrakesoft.com/partners/advertising

z0mbix
September 12th, 2003, 13:07
Oh dear...it's a very sad day indeed for Mandrakesoft. Imagine if this ever happened to a *BSD! You go to edit your /etc/rc.conf and see this:

# set these to "NO" to turn them off. otherwise, they're used as flags
routed_flags=NO # for normal use: "-q"
mrouted_flags=NO # for normal use: "", if activated
# be sure to enable multicast_router below.
rarpd_flags=NO # for normal use: "-a"
bootparamd_flags=NO # for normal use: ""
rbootd_flags=NO # for normal use: ""
# Visit www.amazon.com now for half-price gardening books
sshd_flags="" # for normal use: ""
named_flags=NO # for normal use: ""
rdate_flags=NO # for normal use: [RFC868-host] or [-n RFC1361-host]
timed_flags=NO # for normal use: ""
# Tesco Supermarket: Buy 6 eggs get 1 free. Visit your local store
# now or www.tesco.com for more details and offers
# Subject to terms and conditions.
ntpdate_flags=NO # for normal use: NTP server; run before ntpd starts
isakmpd_flags=NO # for normal use: ""
mopd_flags=NO # for normal use: "-a"
[/code:1:b4d7354ee7]

v902
September 12th, 2003, 18:47
I don't see why this is depressing, I'm happy, if mandrakesoft collapses then we are in dire trouble, this is just to help them, although it's not the best I'm sure they're gonna make a lot of money and help them a little from bankrupcy, I encourage 'em do it...

Strog
September 12th, 2003, 19:43
Seems they have a reply to the noise going on about this. If this is all that it is about then I think people are overreacting.

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/mdkads.php3

I've used Mandrake for my linux needs since version 6.0 and think they do a good job. You really have to get into URPMI if you are going to get the good out of it.

Kernel_Killer
September 13th, 2003, 05:29
Once again, mandrakeSoft tries to make their way into the US market. As for going bankrupt, it will never happen. Yes, they filed a Chapter 13 earlier this year, but only because the US funds wern't hold up, not their actual funds. Maybe there will be a lot of demos of commercial stuff on the default install, but nothing really big. It's not like they can advertise AOL. :P

Strog
September 13th, 2003, 15:35
The biggest reason for the earlier financial trouble was the former CEO blew a lot of money during the dot com boom on things that were waaaay outside their core business. I hear they would be a little above even with that debt out of the picture.

They are just trying to dig out of a hole now. I think they will do it if they don't alienate their customers with something stupid. There were claims that the install would be full of ads and that the screensavers would all have ads on them too and popup ads. I think that would be pushing too far. Of course some people think having a EULA(basically the GPL and usual diclaimer) to click through is too much already. You could go run Debian with their strict rules that they can't follow 100%. lol

All that being said, I'm sure glad I run BSD for most of my OS needs. I'll have one linux box around to support my tv tuner in my recorder box and it probably will be running mdk9.2.