elmore
September 22nd, 2003, 13:01
This out on cnet:

http://news.com.com/2100-7341-5079035.html

What do people thin kabout Carly anyways?

Strog
September 22nd, 2003, 13:56
Even though they deny it, I have a hard time believing that HP isn't going to try to compete more with Cisco. It seems like there is more overlap all the time between them and I could definitely see how Fiorina stepping down from Cisco's board would open the way for more of it.

I don't know enough about Fiorina to form much of an opinion. I see references from time to time in news articles but nothing too substantial. I know I shouldn't let a lack of facts stop me from reaching a conclusion but I'll let it stop me this time. :D

Former Member
September 22nd, 2003, 14:59
I'd do her :) no doubt her personal choice shall have some connection to HP

bmw
September 22nd, 2003, 18:19
What do people thin kabout Carly anyways?

I always placed HP very high on my list of model companies. The emphasis at HP was always on good engineering, less on hype, glitz and marketing junk just to be there first. Exhibit A: the HP 35 calculator vs the TI52 (or whatever that early TI scientific was). Similar in "features", but RPN was an engineer's and mathematician's joy. Inscrutable to some, but "just made sense" if you got it.

If you dropped a TI calc, either the display LEDs would disappear behind the plastic bezel, or bits of it would shatter because it was made of brittle, sharp cornered plastic.

Not so the HP. Drop one and it remains virtually untouched. It's made from resilient materials, gold contacts internally.

What has this to do with Carly? She's transforming HP into a TI-like company. She's basically a bean-counter. She doesn't care about culture -- she wants results, yesterday if possible. HP was a family-run business; Carly has booted out the family.

I thought she would help HP at first, now I see that she's screwing it up. It may succeed as a business, but not as a model business. HP is gone.

elmore
September 22nd, 2003, 19:33
thought she would help HP at first, now I see that she's screwing it up. It may succeed as a business, but not as a model business. HP is gone.

I thought the same thing. I had high hopes for the Compaq merger, once merged those pretty net servers that were also solid a a rock got dropped for proliant. That did it for me. I loved the net server brand I thought they were top notch. I had worked with the proliants in the past and had never gotten a good feel for them.