hugh nicks
October 29th, 2002, 15:18
can anyone tell me what the min requirements would be for setting up an apache web server? i've got an old P2 350, and wouldn't mind playing around with apache on it, but will it be enough? it will only be internal stuff right now, and maybe the odd visit from outside.

thanks.

KrUsTy!
October 29th, 2002, 15:46
Thats more then enough for testing and playing with. In fact it should work just great. I play with Apache on a p1 133. Sure it isn't blindly fast, but I only want to test and play, and actually it is surprisingly speedy most of the time in terms of web response. I wouldn't want to run a site like this on it, but works for doing the "how do I do that" kind of testing...

Up until just earlier this year I ran my company's website on a P2 300, running OpenBSD. We replaced it only becuase I was doing other things on it that needed more speed, not because of the apache running the corporate site. No one ever complained about it.

So I would get playing!

{K}

hugh nicks
October 29th, 2002, 16:31
so apache itself is just a program that runs "within" a *nix environment? if so, are there advantages to running it on different flavours?
i.e. Free, Open, etc.

once i have apache up and running, what language would i use to create a web page? is apache just the back end, or does it also give me the functionality of building the page, not just transfering a completed page to the apache server?

much obliged k.

KrUsTy!
October 29th, 2002, 17:22
Apache is just a service running on whatever OS you run it on.

Apache runs on just about everything, winbloze NT variants included, and just about every *nix out there. Certainly there are many considerations to which OS you will use when putting up a webserver. I would consider security concerns first among many if the apache server is to be a public webserver. Other considerations could be what you like, what you know best, etc... I myself run any public apache on OpenBSD. Mostly for the security considerations. The default install of OpenBSD contains apache. All you need to do is enable it. FreeBSD works great too. Not installed by default but easily added from the ports. /usr/ports/www/apache13 or /usr/ports/www/apache2. Currently two versions of apache, the 1.3 version and the 2.0 verison. Never having used 2.0 I can't speack to it much.

Apache just servers webpages, it does not have anything to do with creation of content. If you make a page in korean, and the load it up to your server, it will serve the page in korean. It doesn't really care. Many tools out there to make html with if thats what you want to use, apache is simply designed to serve out what you tell it too. You can create the webpages on anything, as long as you load it up to the directory that apaches serves out, and what you've created is supported by the apache server you are running. Serving things like Java or PHP coded webpages will require extensions to the regular apache, which are all available. Also be carefull of MS Frontpage creation tool, as it will also require special extentions to run some pages created with it.

I personally like using vi for my html... :D

A place to get you started;

http://www.apache.org

Cheers!

{K}

KrUsTy!
October 29th, 2002, 18:51
A set of some apache tutorials right from the horses mouth....

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/tutorials.html

Cheers!

{K}

hugh nicks
October 29th, 2002, 22:41
sweet. thanks for the info.

beddy much helping.

hugh nicks
November 1st, 2002, 13:40
(K), i ran through some of those tutorials on the apache site, and those will help me with configuring apache. i guess what i'm confused about, is what language does the site have to be written in, in order to be transferred to the server? i've never run a server like this before, so i don't know what programs to tell my web designer to use. i'd like him to stay away from FrontPage if i can, simply because i don't want to run MS based products if i don't have to.

If apache supports java, how does one write a java web page? what other options are there? i just don't want to tell this guy to go ahead and design my page, and then find out later that there's no way apache will serve it out. what programs have other people used to write webpages that are supported by apache?

sorry for being such a newbie about this :oops: , but i just have no clue. thanks in advance for any help.

-hn-

bsdjunkie
November 1st, 2002, 14:00
Just about any language you can think of will work with apache. Even that dreaded frontpage stuff ;P
Some of the more popular ones are PHP, Perl, CGI, Java, etc.... PHP and Perl are my personal favs, since they are easy to learn and intereact well with databases like MySQL easily.

elmore
November 1st, 2002, 14:59
PHP is what this website is written in BTW, just in case you were curious. It has a MySQL backend as well, so the webpage content is generated on the fly.

hugh nicks
November 7th, 2002, 13:46
finally got my apache server up and running. sweet. props to all those that gave me help. 8)

now i'm stuck on something stupid. i have a floppy disk with my website on it (html file), and want to get it on the apache server. i was going to upload it via ftp, but am not very versed in setting that up. no problem i thought, i'll just mount the floppy drive, and bingo.

unfortunately, bingo was put out to pasture by farmer brown. it doesn't matter what command i run, i keep getting the error message:

mount_msdos: /dev/fd0 on /mnt/floppy: No such file or directory.
i've mixed up the commands too, fdc0 instead of fd0, /mnt and /mnt/floppy, etc.

every article that i've read seems to be telling me that i'm doing the right thing. the last one i read said something about newfs, but i can't seem to find clear information if i should be messing with that or not.

has anyone else run into this problem?
should i stop screaming?
do nuts and gum really go together?

thanks,
-hn-

punkball
November 7th, 2002, 14:56
Apache not having anything to do with content creation isn't entirely correct. Don't forget that php, cgi, and other things are started from apache. Even though they are seperate, your cgi script will be sent as text (your code that is!) if apache doesn't know what to do with them.

elmore
November 7th, 2002, 15:48
good point punkball!

Try this Hugh:

mount_msdos /dev/fd0a /mnt/floppy

or something, I think you need an a on the end of fd0. I don't know though I don't mount too many floppies. Ohhh, that sounded real bad. I'm going to stop now.

hugh nicks
November 7th, 2002, 16:55
lol....floppies

about 10 min after i put my last post up, i got the drive to mount. it really bothered me though, because i was trying all last night, and this morning,
with what i thought were the same commands.

i don't know if i just fat fingered it or what, (1000 times?) but she be mounting like she should.

me thinks i might have been in the wrong directory when invoking the command. zut alors!

-if you require a dialing wand, please mash the keypad with your hand-