tarballed
May 17th, 2004, 19:52
Hey everyone...

I just a nice toy for me to play with at work. It's a IBM 2.4ghz CPU, 1.5gig RAM and (2) 40gig IDE drives...

Going to use it as a test box mainly. Who knows though.

But one thing we are going to be doing is doing some web development for memebers of our team. They are going to use Dreamweaver and possibly Coldfusion. Throw in some PHP as well.

Was curious if anyone had thoughts on a partition layout for a server like this?
Also, what type of software would be a good choice to install on this web server, if some people are going to start doing web page building?

I apprecate any recommendations.

T.

molotov
May 17th, 2004, 21:45
FBSD:
/ - 1G UFS2
/usr - 40G UFS2+S
/var - 1G UFS2+2
/tmp - 1G UFS2+S
/home - 37G UFS2+S

swap /home and /usr depending on weather theyre using public_html in home dirs or serving it off /usr

frisco
May 17th, 2004, 23:08
I just a nice toy for me to play with at work. It's a IBM 2.4ghz CPU, 1.5gig RAM and (2) 40gig IDE drives...

Going to use it as a test box mainly. Who knows though.

Uhoh. When deciding how to partition a server, 'who knows' is real bad. Next thing you know this box is your main e-mail server and you're stuck with a 1gb /var.

But one thing we are going to be doing is doing some web development for memebers of our team. They are going to use Dreamweaver and possibly Coldfusion. Throw in some PHP as well.

Was curious if anyone had thoughts on a partition layout for a server like this?

What OS?

Also, what type of software would be a good choice to install on this web server, if some people are going to start doing web page building?

ssh + vi works for me.

Some general thoughts/guidelines:

What OS, and will it run the desired apps in an appropriately supported fashion (e.g. CF)?
Are you going to mirror those drives (and if not why not)?
Can you run the web server in a chroot?
Will you add a db to this server, or access a test db on another server?

Throw down some good enough numbers for generic server partitions (/ 1gb, /tmp 1gb, swap 1gb, /usr 2gb, /var 1gb, /home 1gb, but exact numbers depend on OS), then decide what major software you will install that requires its own growth, like mysql or apache, and plan other partitions around the growth of those applications (/var/www 10-20 gb, /var/mysql 10-20gb, /usr/local 4gb, perhaps a larger /home, but exact numbers depend on answers to the above questions).

tarballed
May 17th, 2004, 23:31
Uhoh. When deciding how to partition a server, 'who knows' is real bad. Next thing you know this box is your main e-mail server and you're stuck with a 1gb /var.

I seriously hope not. But you never know here. Sometimes, they just say "Ya, lets do this." In the back of my mind, im thinking oh crap...

What OS?

Either FreeBSD or OpenBSD...nothing but *BSD on our network now. :)

ssh + vi works for me.

If it could be just that simple. :)

Some general thoughts/guidelines:

What OS, and will it run the desired apps in an appropriately supported fashion (e.g. CF)?
Are you going to mirror those drives (and if not why not)?
Can you run the web server in a chroot?
Will you add a db to this server, or access a test db on another server?

Throw down some good enough numbers for generic server partitions (/ 1gb, /tmp 1gb, swap 1gb, /usr 2gb, /var 1gb, /home 1gb, but exact numbers depend on OS), then decide what major software you will install that requires its own growth, like mysql or apache, and plan other partitions around the growth of those applications (/var/www 10-20 gb, /var/mysql 10-20gb, /usr/local 4gb, perhaps a larger /home, but exact numbers depend on answers to the above questions).

For the most part, it will be a intranet only accessed server.
As far as the OS, probably FreeBSD as im guessing we will be doing some databse stuff on the server. Just remembered. They also want to possibly put a jabber server on here as well...

Never really thought about mirroring the drives. I like that idea...
I mine as well run the web server chrooted. Wouldn't hurt and gives me more things to play with.

It's hard to tell exactly what will be done with this server. Here are the things I do know (which always change it seems):

-Testing DB stuff
-Probably put up phpbb forum for internal use only
-Apache
-Jabber server

That should keep me busy. ;)

I appreciate it guys.

Tarballed